Introducing our San Diego Community Manager, Megan Pogoda

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 | 8:35 AM

Labels:

It all began when I was 5 years-old and came to San Diego to visit family. Eight years later, I vacationed there again, and I was officially hooked.

5-year-old me at the San Diego Zoo

Throughout the next 16 years, whenever someone asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up, all I would say is that I wanted to move to California and drive a Jeep Wrangler. Well, I drove a Jeep in high school, and as soon as I graduated from Penn State, I took my best friend and whatever I could fit into my two-door Honda, and headed for California chasing eternal sunshine and sandy beaches. After enjoying the better part of two years in Lake Tahoe, I moved to San Diego and proceeded to really find out what it meant to make dreams come true. As with many people that pick up and head West, I was chasing a dream.


When I first moved to San Diego, I had the opportunity to travel the entire county day-in and day-out for about a year as the promotional manager for all kinds of community events representing several different brands. From charity fundraisers and runs, to nightclub dance parties, community gatherings, live music events, art openings, farmers markets, health and fitness expos, conferences at the San Diego Convention Center, trade shows and more, I quickly gained respect for all the great things America's Finest City has to offer.

Much of San Diego’s appeal is directly tied to its notoriously mild weather and abundance of outdoor activities. I've had the fortune of getting to know the city and its surrounding areas as both a tourist AND a San Diegan. There are so many attractions and pockets of natural beauty, that after being here for over four years, I'm still discovering new things to appreciate. The city boasts some of the world's most beautiful landscapes to enjoy outdoor sports like hiking, biking, surfing, disk golf (Morley Field Disc Golf), scuba diving, kayaking, and skating. And when it comes to culture, San Diego is host to all kinds of museums, theater, music venues, art galleries (Colosseum Fine Arts) and restaurants. I've always said that this is one of the best cities in the country to come home to, because you're living in a permanent vacation.

Being an artist and entertainer myself, I’ve always gravitated toward natural beauty, and was drawn to San Diego for that reason. It is my sanctuary, not only physically, but mentally and spiritually. It's one of the few cities where you can take a break from work to gaze off into the ocean, and still make it back to the office in time for your next meeting with the satisfaction of a little sand between your toes.

Showering bubbles over the trails at Torrey Pines State Reserve

In the next several months, I’ve got a ton of great community activities planned to get you out and about experiencing this great city. From Motivate Mondays at the coffee shop, to getting steez’d out for the weekend, there's always an opportunity to visit new places, meet like-minded people, and have your opinion be heard through Google Places reviews. We'll also show our appreciation for coming out with fun giveaways and competitions. I’ve been told that I stand out in a crowd with my unique and every-changing style and hair, so I won’t be hard to find, and will be announcing my whereabouts via Twitter at @GoogleSanDiego.

You can catch me eating at some of my favorite places like Sushi Deli 2 in Downtown, getting styled up at Disconnected Salon in North Park, or hunting down some vintage finds at the Architectural Salvage in Little Italy. Come and say hi -- I’d love to meet all of you!

I feel honored to call this city home, and I look forward to sharing my home with you, because that is what this town thrives on: entertaining our guests.

Posted by Megan Pogoda, San Diego community manager

3 comments:

Halcyon said...

Fantastic! What a perfect person!

Nyagoslav Zhekov said...

That IS a cool hair! Let's hope equally cool things are coming up for the "America's finest city" community :)

Pogoda said...

:) Thanks guys!