Introducing our Boston community manager, Adri Cowan

Monday, November 28, 2011 | 6:57 AM

Labels:

Well, hello there Boston!

I’m happy to be here, and why wouldn’t I be? Beantown is packed with amazing things to do, see, and (most importantly, in my opinion) EAT - and I’ll be reviewing all of it on Google Places along with you!

I grew up north of Boston (or, as the locals call it, “the Noth Shoh”), and went from a Make Way for Ducklings-loving kid (pic below!), to a teenage commuter rail-frequenter, mostly to mill about Faneuil Hall and see comedy shows (18+ - we could totally get in!). Eventually, I found myself studying at Emerson College and living in the North End, dodging slow-walking tourists, stuffing myself with heavenly Italian food, walking down to the waterfront for incredible views, seafood, and coffee. I would go hopping around on the T to see shows at the Middle East and Avalon (R.I.P.), and of course, check out the bar scene all over the city. The food I tasted, the streets I walked, the people I met – they were all what made Boston amazing to me, and I want to share that with all of you. 

 

These days, I’ve upscaled my dining experiences a bit. My favorite spot in the area for special-occasion eats isOleana in Cambridge, run by Top Chef’s Anna Sortun, who has blown me away with her menu filled with fresh, organic dishes and impressive wine offerings. Also topping the list is Gaslight Brasserie du Coin in Boston’s South End, Tasca in Brighton for tapas, Friendly Toast in Cambridge for (hipster) brunch, and when I’m visiting the folks in Beverly, my go-to is the very zen
Organic Garden Cafe, all raw and vegan deliciousness. (You can see my reviews of these on my Google Places page here)

When I’m in the mood for Italian, I head back to my old ‘hood to Mother Anna’s for their eggplant rollatine - to dieeee for. Here I am giving my out-of-towner friend a little tour of some of the quaint, brick-scaled back-streets of the North End.


I’ve recently taken a liking to fruit-based beer - is it weird I only really like beer that doesn’t taste like beer? Woodchuck’s Granny Smith Cider (shout-outs to a New England brand!) and Strawberry Fruli top my list of fave brews - I love that they serve this at Gulu Gulu Cafe in Salem, one of my fave spots north of Boston. Oh, look, there I am enjoying a glass of Floris Apple!


My love of local eats morphed into trying to do it myself, and I just started taking classes at the beautiful Boston Center for Adult Education (BCAE), where Chef Bernard Kinsella schooled me on whipping up a whole cornucopia of delights using only one box of Boston Organics produce - check out some of the stuff we made!

 

Have I talked about food enough yet? Here’s a little more meat and potatoes: before I started here as the Boston community manager, I worked as a publicist in the book publishing industry in both New York City and Boston, managing social media and shilling fabulous reads to media outlets. I’m a total book nerd and a shameless geek, which anyone can tell by my collection of comic books, little toys, my obsession with kawaii, and, of course, my love affair with Batman. Exhibit A: my desk.

My passion for social media and new ways of connecting knows no bounds (I’ve probably tried almost every social media site, at least for a week: Quora, VYou, Buzznet, you name it). So find me Tweeting around town as @adrileya, chatting up a storm about the best comic shops, cooking adventures, and best meet-up places in the area (what’re yours?), blogging about geek and foodie delights on my personal blog, HappyBlogtime.com (though I *gulp* haven’t updated in forever!), and visiting the fam in the beautiful Boston suburbs.

Through planning fun meetups, sweet deals and contests, I want you to experience this city along with me! So stay tuned to me on Twitter at @GoogleBoston for all the Google Places activities we’re planning to host at some of the best local spots (what are your favorites?). I look forward to seeing you there!

Posted by Adri Cowan, Boston community manager

1 comments:

Stacia Jones said...

How cool is this girl?